Last updated: December 02, 2023
Allowable Resources in the Dominion League
These resources may be consulted at any time, including during a League game.
The current rulebooks for each Dominion set are linked below. See below for some changes that were made but not yet incorporated into the official rulebooks.
- Dominion (2nd Edition)
- Dominion: Intrigue (2nd Edition)
- Dominion: Seaside (2nd Edition)
- Dominion: Alchemy
- Dominion: Prosperity (2nd Edition)
- Dominion: Hinterlands (2nd Edition)
- Dominion: Dark Ages
- Dominion: Cornucopia & Guilds (2nd Edition)
- Dominion: Adventures
- Dominion: Empires
- Dominion: Nocturne
- Dominion: Renaissance
- Dominion: Menagerie
- Dominion: Allies
- Dominion: Plunder
There is no official rulebook for the promo cards (Envoy, Black Market, Stash, Walled Village, Governor, Prince, Summon, Sauna/Avanto, Dismantle, Church, Captain, and Marchland).
These errata are not included in the rulebooks linked above, but are official rules and are used in Dominion Online.
The abilities of these cards have changed since the rulebooks were last printed. Cards with the same abilities but new wordings (such as due to the “Gaining non-Supply cards” rule below) are not listed here.
- Donate: Event, 8 Debt (Dominion: Empires)
At the start of your next turn, first, put your deck and discard pile into your hand, trash any number of cards from it, then shuffle the rest into your deck and draw 5 cards.
- Island Folk: Ally (Dominion: Allies)
At the end of your turn, you may spend 5 Favors to take an extra turn after this one (but not a 3rd turn in a row).
- Journey: Event, $4 (Dominion: Plunder)
You don’t discard cards from play in Clean-up this turn. Take an extra turn after this one (but not a 3rd turn in a row).
- Merchant Guild: Action, $5 (Dominion: Cornucopia & Guilds)
At the end of your Buy phase this turn, +1 Coffers per card you gained in it.
- Mission: Event, $4 (Dominion: Adventures)
Take an extra turn after this one (but not a 3rd turn in a row), during which you can’t buy cards. (You can still buy Events.)
- Mountain Pass: Landmark (Dominion: Empires)
When you are the first player to gain a Province, at end of turn, each player bids once, up to 40 Debt, ending with you. High bidder gets +8VP and takes the Debt they bid.
- Outpost: Action - Duration, $5 (Dominion: Seaside)
You only draw 3 cards for your next hand. Take an extra turn after this one (but not a 3rd turn in a row).
- Overlord: Action - Command, 8 Debt (Dominion: Empires)
Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $5, leaving it there.
- Patron: Action - Reaction, $4 (Dominion: Renaissance)
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”) in an Action phase, +1 Coffers.
- Possession: Action, $6 Potion (Dominion: Alchemy)
The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one (but not a 2nd extra turn in a row), in which you can see all cards they can and make all decisions for them. Any cards or Debt they would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of theirs that are trashed are set aside and put in their discard pile at end of turn.
- Voyage: Action - Duration - Odyssey, $4 (Dominion: Allies)
Take an extra turn after this one (but not a 3rd turn in a row), during which you can only play 3 cards from your hand.
Additionally, two cards intentionally work differently online than what their texts say:
- Black Market: The Black Market deck is made up of exactly 60 unused Kingdom cards that do not have any setup. The Black Market deck will also not have cards that require setup not already required by other Kingdom cards. For example, it will not have cards that require Potion or Ruins unless another card in the Kingdom already needs those things. When you play Black Market, the un-bought cards are put back in a random order, and the Black Market deck is shuffled once all the cards from it have been revealed once.
- Way of the Mouse: Way of the Mouse will not set aside cards with setup or cards that when played using Way of the Mouse would be as useful or less useful than other Ways.
Previous card errata is not listed here as it has become extensive, and some cards have changed multiple times. You should familiarize yourself with the rulebooks (linked above) and the errata not yet printed in rulebooks (listed above) to know how the cards currently work.
Previous rule errata is below for reference.
Playing Durations multiple times
If a card such as Throne Room plays a Duration card multiple times, that card also stays in play until the player discards the Duration card. If a card such as Throne Room plays a non-Duration card multiple times — even if the card it plays then plays a Duration card — it is always discarded from play the turn it is played.
If you have to do anything with your deck — for example draw, look at, reveal, set aside, discard, or trash cards — and you need more cards than are left in your deck, first shuffle your discard pile and put it under your deck, then do the thing. If there are still not enough cards, you do the thing with however many cards you can. If when shuffling there are no cards in your deck, the shuffled discard pile simply becomes your new deck.
When shuffling, you may also look through your remaining deck.
Some cards, like Band of Misfits, can play a card that isn’t put into play. When you play Band of Misfits, leave it in play as long as you would have left the card it plays in play. Normally that will be the same turn’s Clean-up. For a Band of Misfits playing a Duration card, it will be the Clean-up of the last turn the Duration card has any effects. For a Band of Misfits playing a Throne Room playing a Duration card, it will be the Clean-up of the turn the Duration card leaves play. For a Band of Misfits playing a card that can move itself from play, like Mining Village, the card can’t move itself, so Band of Misfits doesn’t leave play any earlier than normal. If a Band of Misfits plays multiple Duration cards (e.g., you used Throne Room on it), leave it out until the Clean-up of the last turn that one of the played cards still had effects.
These rules apply to all of the cards that play cards without putting them into play: Band of Misfits, Captain, Inheritance, Necromancer, Overlord, and Way of the Mouse.
Note: This replaces the Lose-Track rule (which was introduced in the Dominion: Dark Ages rulebook), and is largely the same as it.
An effect can move a card if it specifies where the card is coming from, or if the effect put the card where it is now. If a card isn’t where the effect would expect it to be, or has moved away from there and then back, it can’t move the card. Played cards expect to be in play; they can’t move themselves if they aren’t. Gained cards are expected to be where they were gained to, even if this isn’t the discard pile. Cards in discard piles can be moved even if covered up by other cards. Cards on top of a deck can’t be moved once covered up.
Additionally, when you are told to get a card from your discard pile and that card is not the top card of your discard pile, you can look through your discard pile to get the card. You don’t have to just look at the top couple of cards, you can look through the whole discard pile.
Gaining non-Supply cards
When a card tells you to gain a non-Supply card by name (e.g., “gain a Horse”), or by a pile type (e.g., “gain a Prize”), you can gain it from its pile, even though it’s not in the Supply.
For example, Marauder can gain Spoils because Marauder uses the words “gain a Spoils”, but Changeling cannot gain an Imp because Changeling does not use the word “Imp” and instead says “gain a copy”.
The cost in $ of a card can’t go below $0. The cost in Potion of a card can’t go below 0 Potion. The cost in Debt of a card can’t go below 0 Debt.
Kingdom Treasure cards
Treasure cards that do special things when played will no longer say “when you play this”, and instead of saying they are “worth” an amount of $ they will give +$.
You may spend Coffers at any time on your turn.
An effect that tries to play a card for the first time can only do so when the card is where the effect expects it to be. With an effect that plays a card multiple times, the subsequent times will always work, regardless of whether the first play was successful.
Dominion Online bugs
Below is a list of cards and situations where the game rules aren’t followed. This list does not include bugs with removed cards, confusing or incorrect interface issues, or problems with the Lord Rattington bot. Bugs due to using abilities during another player’s turn are in a separate section below.
- Cargo Ship: You cannot choose which copy of Cargo Ship (or card that played a Cargo Ship, leaving it there) to set aside a gained card on. This can matter with Throne Room, Way of the Mouse setting aside Cargo Ship, etc.
- Cavalry, Villa: If you change phases while resolving a card or gaining multiple cards at once (such as via overpaying for Stonemason), you do not return to your Action phase until you have finished resolving the card or gaining all the cards.
- Ducat + Debt: If it’s your Buy phase and you haven’t bought anything and you have more Debt than you can pay off, then when you pay off any amount of it, all the Ducats in your hand will be played.
- Highwayman + Way of the Chameleon: If you are affected by Highwayman’s attack and the first Treasure you play in a turn is also an Action, then playing it using Way of the Chameleon will override Highwayman’s attack. (Highwayman should make the Treasure do nothing, regardless of how it’s played.)
- Priest + Way of the Chameleon: If you play multiple Priests in a turn, some using Way of the Chameleon and some not, then when you trash a card, you will either get all +Cards or all +$ (depending on how you played the first Priest).
- Quartermaster: When you have multiple Quartermasters and none of them have cards set aside, then at the start of your turn, you can’t tell which Quartermaster you’re gaining cards for. This can matter when some of the Quartermasters are played multiple times.
- Various cards: Sometimes, when a card plays another card, you cannot call a Royal Carriage on the first card. This bug is uncommon and the circumstances that cause it are unknown.
- Various cards/landscapes: If you play a card multiple times and it doesn’t leave play at least one of those times, but then does leave play a later time, you may be able to call a Royal Carriage to replay it.
- Small Castle: When you play Small Castle and have no other Castles in hand, you are forced to trash the Small Castle from play.
- When you gain a card, you can only react with one Sleigh from your hand. However, you should be able to react with additional Sleighs, though they will do nothing.
- When you gain a Sleigh, you can react with a second Sleigh from your hand to put the first Sleigh into your hand; the second Sleigh moves to your discard pile, and should stop moving. However, you can react with the first Sleigh, now in your hand, to move the second Sleigh again. Furthermore, you can continue to react with each Sleigh to put the other into your hand in an infinite loop.
- Treasure Map: The two Treasure Maps should be trashed simultaneously, but are trashed one at a time. For example, if you play a Treasure Map and trash it, you can resolve “when you trash” abilities before trashing another Treasure Map from your hand.
- Villa: See Cavalry above.
- Villagers: During your Action phase, if the only thing you can do is spend Villagers, you are not given a chance to spend them and instead your Buy phase automatically beings. This can matter with Diadem or Possession.
- Way of the Chameleon:
- See Highwayman above.
- See Priest above.
Bugs during another player’s turn
If you set up an ability during another player’s turn that happens at the start of Clean-up, it will resolve at the start of your next Clean-up, instead of the next Clean-up of any player. This includes abilities from cards (such as playing Improve during another player’s turn) and returning Boons that say “keep this until Clean-up” (such as receiving the Field’s Gift during another player’s turn).
Abilities that happen when you discard a card from play will not happen if you discard it from play during another player’s turn.
If it is not your turn and you play 2 or more Action cards and then Conspirator, you will not get +1 Card and +1 Action.
If you encounter a bug not listed here, please confirm it is indeed a bug in the #rules-help channel of the Dominion (by Donald X Vaccarino) Discord server, and then tag a League moderator.